Items listed are new topic areas. Individual new entries will not be listed.
In MAR 2017:
- FIRED Reasons
Some involuntary terminations ("firings") are very justified while others are politically driven or selectively omitted extenuating facts. Either way it happens. This section discusses some of the more compelling reasons for termination that are destructive to the employer and impact those seeking to be a great team from reaching the levels they aspire to.
Mistakes | Fired Reasons
- NOT HIRED
The Job Description was written for you! The screening interview came three days after submission. An interview was set for the following week. Four interviews and all gave strong positive signs and congratulatory remarks afterward. Two weeks later you get a Dear John letter ... and your first name isn't John! There can be so many factors, most will never be disclosed, some may not be legitimate. This page hopefully will provide some insight into an imperfect and flawed process, encouraging your continued efforts and possibly giving thanks that you did not end up there after all. Sometimes losing leaves you a winner.
Information Hub | Tips | Job Search | Not Hired
Something worth discussing with your manager as a question targeted towards successful progression in your learning and taking on more work with a high level of quality in what your produce. This sets a good stage for the conversation and help you understand the process used by providing for rewards and recognition which can be a salary increase or a bonus or other incentive until a salary adjustment is possible.
Information Hub | Tips | Raises
Retirement can be good if you plan and save for it. Otherwise it may not be so good for you. Working longer may offset losses in the market over the years and delay the need to withdraw from savings
(subject to IRS Rules on Mandatory Withdrawals from Retirement Accounts).
Information Hub | Tips | Retirement
It is possible to successfully negotiate yourself into having less. Information is critical to negotiate and companies often do not put all their cards on the table for you. You must do your research.
Some articles are provided including ones representing the employer.
Information Hub | Tips | Interviews | Negotiating
For longer interviews, you may be taken out for lunch or dinner which is, in fact, another interview. Since some of us are more prepared to eat at Burger Barn than a Four Star Eatery, here is information to help you look great, navigate some traps and which fork to use!
Information Hub | Tips | Interviews | Dining
Managers and Recruiters should understand and practice the power found through influencing and persuading people. As a Job Seeker, you should understand and learn this power for your interviews.
FREE AUDITING COURSE from Coursera & the University of Michigan.
Information Hub | Tips | Influence-Persuasion
- HOW TO GET OUT OF A FUNK
Written by Craig Stickland (founding Pastor, Hope Church), this was circulated within our network and received great feedback on Linkedin. If you have not read this and your feeling in the dumps over your Job Search, check it out... it's a good short read from a good local author.
Other articles by Craig are shown on the We Believe tab.
Home | We Believe | How to Get Out of a Funk
- MORE & BETTER
What job seeker does not want more interviews and better interview? YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Here are some articles to help you not only get more interviews but to think about what's going on to smash your interview into a good job offer.
Information Hub | Tips | More & Better
It's hard to look up when you're busy looking down on yourself. Lack of self-esteem can hurt your abilities in many ways but the good news is you can follow guidance to help yourself out of this funk.
Information Hub | Tips | Self-Esteem
Leadership is always in excessive supply except for good leadership. It is here that companies should be hungry to find talent that can take their teams to greater achievement.
Information Hub | Tips | Leadership
- LEADERSHIP VIDEOS FROM SIMPLE TRUTHS
5 short videos (each under 4 minutes) with thought provoking ideas in the area of leadership with attention-getting titles.
Information Hub | Content | Videos | Leadership
In FEB 2017:
- SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE
How do successful people be or stay successful? We have gathered a number of articles on success in various areas and presented them in one location for quick discovery and reading.
Information Hub | Tips | Successful People
- INDUSTRY HUMOR
A job search can wear you out. To help it along, a new family of tabs has been established under Industry Humor. First up, Project Managers. A list of over 100 terms used to bring some laughs.
Resources | Industry Humor | Project Management
- INTERNAL INTERVIEW
You landed the job and now it's time to move up which may require the Internal Interview. What you went through before was a good exposure but the rules have changed and they now have history on you from your manager and others. Time to read, study, and prep!
Information Hub | Tips | Interviews | Internal Interview
- TIME TO LEAVE
You're at a job you have enjoyed but something has changed. You are at a point where you are evaluating whether to stay or leave. Here are some articles that may help you in this process.
Information Hub | Tips | Time to Leave
- 60 TOP COMPANIES IN MEMPHIS TO WORK AT
From the Commercial Appeal as of December 2016
60 Top Companies
- INTERACTIVE ELEVATOR SPEECH TRAINING from AARP
Hats off to AARP for creating this FIRST CLASS training material that is available on-line. The interactive component allows you to select from three possible options for your next step and not only get their feedback but see what would happen from your choice. It is better to make an error in your decision before the computer to learn than to make this "rookie" mistake before someone who could hire you! And thanks to Mr. Podgors for making us all aware of this great tool.
Information Hub | Tips | Elevator Speech
Anger is something you want to know how to prevent or at least control if you are subject to anger quickly. This link provides some authoritative articles on Anger and some free tests you can take. Since this is a medical topic, please note the Disclaimer shown.
Information Hub | Tips | Anger
- FOOLED - FAKE JOB OFFER
Forbes published an article to help you spot a potential fake job that may come to you. It is bad enough facing the loss of money but you also lose the valuable time chasing a non-existent opportunity.
Information Hub | Tips | Job Offer Fake
- JOB FAIRS, ETC.
An updated providing the required pre-registration link for those wanting to attend was posted this free event at the Memphis Hilton.
Announcements | Job Fairs, etc <<<
- ADDITIONAL CONTENT
Additional TED Video Links and Articles are now part of our library to help those in career transition in addition to new tabs and a reorganization of the Articles tab dividing the Articles into two tabs;
ARTICLES A-K and ARTICLES L-Z. The ARTICLES Tab provides lists of all subject areas covered, which may be expanded as appropriate.
In JAN 2017:
- NEW GROUP LAUNCHED 1-31-2017
The Germantown CT Group launched by this date by Richard
Redmont meeting off West St in Germantown. Richard will focus on
three simple yet critical points in his program which are:
1) Accountability in your search plan,
2) Family communications and challenges and
3) How do I become a great networker?
These simple areas have a significant impact on helping you be productive and stay on track. Think how much money you are NOT making each week while unemployed as a motivator to work smart!
Meetings are normally planned for every Tuesday from 7:00 AM to 8:30 AM.
See Richard's group within this website at http://TheCTGroups.org/info/Groups/gtwn-ct
- Chuck Winters
On January 7th we all lost Chuck who served with great distinction as a moderator at St. Francis of Assisi. Chuck's background was his authentic passion in helping people learn and he lived his passion and are so noted by others who he had touched in his all too short time with us. For the many you touched, thank you Chuck!
Announcements | Our Good Friends
- EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE
This field of study has grown in the past few years in management circles to better train and prepare
managers for handling situations better. This page includes information on what is Emotional Intelligence, some charts that can be enlarged, and a number of supporting articles including a means to determine your Emotional Intelligence.
Information Hub | Tips | Emotional Behavior
- PUBLIC SPEAKING
Whether it is a gathering of 2 people somewhere or in FedEx Forum for a "packed house", the skills for Public Speaking are increasingly important. Whether it is to inform, teach, persuade or give a "Call to Action", this is an important tool in your soft skills repository employers need. Included
are articles, TED Videos, and a list of 27 items you need to know.
Information Hub | Tips | Public Speaking
- WHAT ARE EMPLOYERS "LOOKING FOR"
Going into an interview with people you know nothing about is not easy for many people. We have
compiled a list of 17 different things you may encounter or be probed for information on during
your interview. These can help you perform better by reviewing them well before the interview
and preparing your responses to each. These are general areas and do not include specific areas
to the position you are applying for.
Information Hub | Tips | Interviews | Interviewing Tips | Looking For
- NEW LINKEDIN STRUCTURE
By the word is out, LinkedIn made some changes and not everyone can figure out how to do what
they did before. Some information has been posted to help you work through this abrupt change.
There were many changes, some features can not be found and a number of defect reports.
Software testing can be challenging when you have over 400 million testers looking at everything!
UPDATE: LinkedIn is offering a process to revert to the prior version of LinkedIn. No indication at
at this point, if this impacts your ability to include future LinkedIn futures or changes.
Information Hub | Tips | LinkedIn
- BBB Scam Tracker
The Better Business Bureau now offers an on-line means to reports scams you or your family have encountered and review your community for the scams reported. Personal information is asked for but is not displayed to the Public - do NOT put personal information into the box marked "Describe the Scam" as this information will be displayed to the Public.
Home | BBB Scam Reporting
- What "The Bachelor" Can Teach You About the Hiring Process
Definitely off the beaten path but there are some interesting observations that may help you through the process.
Information Hub | Articles-Video | Articles | Job Search Mistakes
- Do the Impossible
Say it can't be done? Nonsense! Someone just hasn't figured it out yet. Look at Walt Disney's life story, fired from a job because he was not creative enough then lost most of what he had and regrouped to create a highly recognized global multi-billion dollar corporation. Or Andre Borschbert who flew around the world without using any fuel. The world belongs to those who believe, who see a dream then make it a reality. Remember Thomas Edison's name until his blub gave light?
Information Hub | Articles | Emotion | Do The Impossible
Not many do not want to be liked, it's part of being human. This section offers a chart and a number of articles from various sources that discuss the specific traits of what they found constitute likeability.
Information Hub | Tips | Likeability
The ability to persuade others is important whether you are the CEO of a giant corporation or meeting with friends on where to go eat. To lead others extends beyond work; it reaches into personal and social activities that gain you respect, admiration and influence.
It requires time and effort but, in the end, it's all worth the investment.
Information Hub | Tips | Presentations
In DEC 2016:
- Forbes Videos
Forbes, as well respected business publication, is making some of their videos available via their web site. We have identified ones we found that could benefit our membership in their career or job search. No popcorn but the show is short and there is no admission.
Information Hub | Content | Videos | Forbes Videos
- Your Worth
We work for hourly wages or salary and potentially benefits offered to employees. Part of hiring someone is will the desired candidate work for our wages or salary or not. This help you understand the process and one resource that can provide information to assist you in these discussions of your worth versus their compensation.
Information Hub | Tips | Your Worth
- Emotional Intelligence
There is growing discussion on whether Emotional Intelligence (EI) is real, misdirected findings or something else. Information is provided as it offers insight on how a person can further improve themselves without exhaustive efforts. Links and graphics are provided.
Information Hub | Tips | Emotional Intelligence
- Da Blues
No, not something on Beale Street but the potentially crippling mental state people get from depression and/or the winter season. One of the causes is being in a Career Transition. If you see these symptoms, try some of the suggestions offered by the authors. If that is not successful for you, reach out for help.
Information Hub | Tips | Da Blues
- Veterans Resources
Information for returning Veterans to assist them and their spouses join the workforce.
- Background Checks
Background checks protect employers and current employees from a number of potential and unwanted situations. Drug Screening, Financial Checks, References and Licenses/Certifications are all a routine process performed where applicable.
Information Hub | Tips | Background Checks
- e-Mail Tips
Most people today can create and send an e-mail from multiple devices yet few have learned how to write an effective e-mail. To help these, a page has been established to highlight good habits for a business e-mail. General guidance is also provided to create your Signature Block. Done well, this can impress many recipients with little work by you since most do not know this capability exists!
Information Hub | Tips | e-Mails
- Top 10 Soft Skills
Information from an article published in Aug 2016 from LinkedIn survey listing the Top 10 Soft Skills PLUS the Top 10 industries where these are in demand and not so in demand. IN ADDITION links to the article, some of the data AND FREE EDUCATION can be found.
NEW UPDATES on 12/9/16 to focus on the Top 5 Skills with insight as to why they are essentially universal.
Information Hub | Tips | Top Soft Skills
- Career Sabotage
Sometimes we feel others are working against us in our careers. We look for possible saboteurs: co-workers, our manager, one of our former managers. Before you start pointing figures and opening up doors you don't want to be opened, read these articles before acting.
Information Hub | Tips | Career Sabotage
In Nov 2016:
The concern in the IT industry continues to grow with the spread of programs for computers and all "handheld" devices like phones, tablets, etc. "Apps" that have malware to steal information have found their way into legitimate "stores" and people still like to use the most commonly hacked passwords. With the move to add credit cards to these devices the risk only increases. For Passwords, see
Tech Tips | Passwords
- Added a new tab for Data Breach to help understand HOW it happens and insight from State Farm Insurance on things you can try. Financial institutions are to protect you to a certain extent, but personal experience revealed basic flaws in their process and/or training that puts customers at potential additional risk.
Information Hub | The Bad Guys | Data Breach Protection
- We are facing some delays as our computer is terminal due to a power surge from lightening along a printer/scanner that is not up to expectations. As such, there is a risk in making more than minor
changes to the web site until the equipment can be replaced.
MEANWHILE, a new tab has been added for TED Playlists This selection is created by TED grouped around various themes and is very easy to browse through to find specific areas of interest for your personal, professional or job search needs.
Information Hub | Videos | Ted Videos | TED Playlists
- @TheCTGroups_Org -- Now you can follow us on Twitter
- Articles & TED Videos continue to expand along with other areas.
- Targeting a reorganization of some items to place information
available in a better manner for the membership.
- Don't overlook the article at Home regarding this political year.
There is a reason the Founding Fathers created a secret ballot.
Remember your approved Photo ID (TN Driver's License will work) when you vote
Too many cases of voter fraud, people casting multiple ballots even in different counties/states.
In Sept 2016:
- A free Myers-Briggs Personality Test is now available along with two links: one for interpreting the results and one showing famous people who have the various Myers-Briggs codes. This FREE TEST
is not a full test and should not be viewed as a definitive result that would provide greater analysis and insight into your personality. Companies see value in Myers-Briggs and invest large sums of money testing their people to improve productivity within groups.
- On-The-Job is for experienced and first job employees who need a little insight into what they see or are experiencing.
Information Hub | Articles & Video | Articles
- Job Offer has been extended to cover negotiations with articles from Glassdoor.com and their online look-up tool to find salaries by job title by the company and city. Remember different cities have different cost of living factors and thus the differences.
- Job Search Videos, Leadership Videos and Self Help Videos have been relocated under Information Hub | Articles & Video
Departure Search tab under Information Hub | Articles & Video | Articles was added for those needing to conduct a job search while still employed which can create problems for the job seeker.
Caution is recommended.
- Mistakes tab under Information Hub | Tips | Interviews for non-verbal, physical and verbal common Interview mistakes to help you score stronger than others. Don't expect to remember them all. This is a major section with considerable meat to it for everyone.
- TED Videos and other videos under Articles & Video under Information Hub continue to be added each month. Current count for Ted Videos is 145 as of Sept 18, 2016.
In Aug 2016:
- Medical Assistance tab under the Information Hub tab has been added to offer information on potential free or nearly free prescriptions available through their organization without any fees charge to you for their services. ALSO, they list free to low-cost clinics in your area through the Partnership for Prescription Assistance organization. IF CASH FLOW IS PREVENTING ACCESS TO
MEDICINES OR MEDICAL TREATMENT, READ THESE SECTIONS ASAP.
- Tips on Body Language has been added under the Tips sub-tab under the Information Hub section. Good stuff for interview preparation.
- TED Videos and other videos under Articles & Video under Information Hub continue to be added each month. Current count for Ted Videos is 125 as of Aug 31, 2016.
- TIPS has been dramatically expanded and hopefully will be a focus for the balance of 2016 to give
greater insight into doing a career transition better.
In July 2016:
- New tab: Job Fairs (under Announcements), to highlight events reported to TheCTGroups.org for posting by representatives of the organizers or other sources deemed reliable.
- Added quotes from Sir Richard Branson under Business.
- Added over 70 new items to TED Videos and created an Index using the page after the TED Videos page.
In June 2016:
- Truett Cathy, founder of Chick-fil-A, was added to Business with other well known corporate leaders. Leadership Videos were also added in Videos from the Cathy Family foundation.
- Added Articles & Videos to consolidate these into a central location for each of the viewer. Videos will come from a variety of sources including TED that are relevant to those in a career transition.
Many of the selections are specifically selected for career transitioners.
- Added Family Records to provide an example of saving is important family and household records electronically should you experience a disaster at your residence or community. Proof of identity in any big disaster will be very important. Be smart, be prepared, be covered!
In May 2016:
- Added capability to enlarge photos and graphics providing directions to meeting rooms for those with visual limitations. This will be an on-going effort where possible within the web site.
- Expansion of Our Good Friends to include additional Moderators and support members who have left The CT Groups or passed away.
In Apr 2016:
- A new tab, Our Good Friends was added to recognize those caring individuals who donated their time and talent to prepare materials, topics then help those in their career transition challenges and have since left.
- Added additional items to The Bad Guys tab to alert people to what new scams look like and how
to spot the indicators of a scam or questionable business deal.
In Feb 2016:
- A new section, Pushing Through ... was added to showcase challenging situations people have encountered and how they pushed through seemingly insurmountable roadblocks to reach their dreams and goals. Many people will have tough times in their life. Read how those with a really tough challenge overcame theirs!
In Jan 2016:
- Additional material to the web site across multiple topics including notices about increased e-mail attacks where even clicking "Unsubscribe" was a potential risk. When it doubt, delete them!
In Dec 2015:
- The Bad Guys section was expanded as more people are falling victim to cyber-based crimes and mischief. New areas provide actual samples of attacks (with dangerous items disabled or removed) along with commentary on how to spot the attacks against you. Knowledge is Power.
In Nov 2015:
- Created information for the Getwell Road United Methodist location of The CT Groups moderated by Rob Kirksey.
- Expanded information within In The News and looking to find means to bring forward the recorded interviews.
In Aug to Oct 2015:
- Performing housekeeping tasks, improvements suggested plus delivery and restructuring considerations, especially for prospective and new members.
In July 2015:
- A new tab, A Site Introduction, was created to provide visitors with an overview of each 1st and 2nd level tabs offered. This tab will be updated reflecting substantive changes.
In June 2015:
In May 2015:
- Smarter Options
Options available to you when you have land to retain your membership and have "instant on" access to the e-mails in three different settings of delivery allowing you to tailor e-Mails to your preferences. Career Transition is not easy and it is expensive. Why throw away the investment you earned when you can keep resources available when needed and turn them on or off instantly for free?
YOU HAVE SMARTER OPTIONS
- The Bad Guys
This section was expanded on additional warning signs of potential
fraud or links that may cause you a "negative experience" and how
you can detect these potential problems.
- Realignment & Expansion of items under Yahoo! Help
The tab Yahoo! Help now includes an overview of the provided 5 major subtabs with those subtabs provided on Yahoo! Help along the bottom.
In March 2015:
- FAQs [Frequently Asked Questions]
To assist the public in understanding The CT Groups and are operations a new section to address Frequently Asked Questions was created driven mostly by inquiries from the public. This helps to remove fear and uncertainty about the organization which may inhibit people from joining. It also helps to provide direction to other areas with TheCTGroups.org to more detailed information on our program, resources, groups (including locations, dates, times and focus).
Whether you are new or a long time member, this may provide resources you were not aware of previously.
- Tech Tips
Members often asked about the performance of their personal computer and options that area available from various sources. This evolving section provides insight into using existing Microsoft Software licensed with your Windows Operating system to solve many of these potential problems for a little of your time and zero cost.
The Index provides insight into the solutions provided and what the characteristics of poor performance they can help to resolve. While some of this is "heavy tech stuff" the reason why the problem is created and what the solution does to resolve the problem is written for most readers to readily follow along with directions on finding, launching and using the software from Microsoft.
Documentation on the listed Microsoft tools is available from Microsoft via your personal computer files or on-line at Microsoft.com
Additional tools to address other problems will be added as time and ability permit.
So for a little time learn how to fix your computer and save a lot of money.
- Yahoo! eMail Management
Provides information on the three recommended levels you may change yourself at anytime using your ID to Yahoo! and a Yahoo! tool at no cost. This can allow you to reduce the e-mail from The CT Groups after landing and change the levels as you need/want them during employment or if/when you want them again. A discussion of the PROs and CONs of each of the three levels is provided.
- eMail Management
Using e-mail Software to automatically kill unwanted Group Mailings
Provides a conceptual discussion to set your e-mail software to seek out and delete e-mails meeting certain criteria such as the start of a Subject or specific e-mail address. Often these settings can provide for the automatic deletion of e-Mails confirming to the defined criteria before they arrive in your In-Mail basket. This should be used as a last resort given the Adjusting Yahoo! e-mail Volume Levels options above. Because of the various levels of a given e-mail software and the number of providers it is not practical to provide a step-by-step process to set this up. Check with your software documentation to obtain the steps you need to use and the impacts it will bring to your environment.
The Bad GuysAttacks against computers, large and small, have grown over the past several years. Phishing attacks (generally e-mail trying to trick you into an unwise action benefiting the Bad Guys) is on the rise. Attacks against some businesses and financial institutions has resulted in the Bad Guys stealing then reselling personal information (Name(s), Address, Phone numbers, e-Mail Addresses) which is allowing the Bad Guys to personalize their attacks. While this takes more time to write the e-Mail generating software, it creates better illusion of being legitimate by presenting your information in the e-mail.
Other types of Phishing attacks are also listed including those using Attachments, Financial Accounts, Identity Theft, Government Notices and other scams in general. Material presented helps you recognize the fatal mistakes made in this fraudulent e-mails so that you do not take the actions they want to use by compelling urgent action to protect yourself or others.
Often the best defense is remaining calm and skeptical while looking for indications of fraud or communications that any major corporation would never authorize for release. As a last resort, call the provider using numbers listed on your bank statement, credit card or in the telephone directory to validate the message received.
- So much was going on to identify quick solutions to obtain, name then build out a web site to support the membership there was no time to log the growth activity. Because we are a zero revenue organization we leverage free resources first then minimal cost resources as a last resort.
We view this web site as both a resource of The CT Groups and the public for awareness to help inform those who are in a job search regarding our free services including meetings and companionship. Being in a job search can be intimidating, humiliating, and frightening and has been the cause of many taking drastic steps which only create greater hardships.
If your organization would like to help others become aware of our services, please let us know as
we can provide you links at this web site to obtain our roster/schedule of meetings, and how easy it is for someone in the Memphis area to become a member. We are able to do this at no cost to the job seeker through meeting facilities provided by houses of worship, Southwest Community College, and a McAlister's plus over 60 volunteers with experience in various facets of career transition.
Send your inquiry to Questions@TheCTGroups.com
It make take some time to reply but we will reply to legitimate inquiries.