- "My greatest point is my persistence. I never give up in a match. However down I am, I
fight until the last ball. My list of matches shows that I have turned a great many
co-called irretrievable defeats into victories."
Between 1974 and 1981 he won 11 Grand Slam singles titles: five consecutive Wimbledon singles
titles and six French Open singles titles. He is considered by many to be one of the greatest
tennis players of all time.
(1956 - )
- "Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."
George Herman "Babe" Ruth
American Baseball Player
First player to hit 60 Home Runs in a single season (1927)
One of the first five players named to the Baseball Hall of Fame (1936)
(1895 - 1948)
- "We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful
lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort."
4 Gold Medals in Sprints and Long Jump in the 1936 Olympics held in Munich, Germany where
Adolph Hitler sough to show his Aryan ideals and prowess to the assembled world.
(1913 - 1980)
- "Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an
unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to
attain the success you seek."
Italian-American World Champion Racing Driver
(1940 - )
- "I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career.
I've lost almost 300 games.
Twenty-six times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed.
I've failed over and over and over again in my life.
And that is why I succeed."
- "If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks.
I've had them; everybody has had them.
But obstacles don't have to stop you.
If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up.
Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it."
American Basketball Player
Winner of 6 World Championships
Winner of 6 NBA Finals MVP Awards
Winner of 5 MVP Awards
Winner of 10 NBA-All First Team Awards
Winner of 9 NBA-All Defensive First Team Awards
14 NBA All-Star Game Appearances
Winner of 3 NBA All-Star MVP Awards
Holder of 10 Scoring Titles
Holder of 3 Steals Titles
1988 NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award
Holds NBA Record for most average season points scored per game (30.12)
Holds NBA Record for highest career playoff scoring average (33.45)
Named ESPN's Greatest American Athlete
Named Second place to Babe Ruth in the Associated Press' Athletes of the Century list
Named to Basketball's Hall of Fame 1999.
(1963 - )
- "The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination."
Major League Baseball Pitcher and Team Manager
National League Hall of Fame (Manager) 1997
(1927 - )
- "The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These
qualities are so much more important than the events that occur."
- "The price of success is hard work, dedication on the job at hand, and the determination
that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.
- "If you can accept losing, you can't win."
- "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a
lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will."
- "The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have."
- "The only place Success comes before Work is in the dictionary."
American Football Coach
Led the Green Bay Packers to 3 straight league championships and 5 within 7 consecutive years
including the first two Super Bowls in 1966 and 1967.
The National Football League's Super Bowl trophy is named in his honor.
Enshrined in the NFL's Pro Football Hall of Fame, 1971.
(1913 - 1970)
- "You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going because you might
not get there."
- "It ain't over 'til it's over."
- "It's déjà vu all over again".
Elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, 1972
(1925 - )